Patrice and Marleah drink Alabama Slammers and talk hidden salt mines, barge-eating sinkholes, quarter-mile-wide swirlies, Central Alabama Pride, the homosexual panic defense, and the sad state of Southern hate crime legislation.
The Big Flush of Lake Peigneur //
On Thursday, November 20, 1980, an oil rig contracted by Texaco accidentally drilled into the Diamond Crystal Salt Company salt mine under the lake. Because of an incorrect or misinterpreted coordinate reference system, the 14-inch drill bit entered the mine, starting a chain of events that turned the lake from freshwater to salt water, with a deep hole.
Lake Peigneur: The Swirling Vortex of Doom by Alan Bellows
Lake Peigneur, the biggest man-made vortex ever
The Murder of Billy Jack Gaither //
On February 19, 1999, Billy Jack Gaither was brutally murdered and burned outside his hometown of Sylacauga, Alabama – according to his killers, “just cause he was queer.” The anniversary of his murder has for 20 years been a vigil and a day of protest outside the state capitol as friends and activists urge the state government to add sexual orientation to their state hate crimes statute.
Prides of the Southeast, a schedule of Southern Pride events
NY Times: Murder Reveals the Double Life of Being Gay in the South
How to Make Alabama Slammers for Two Alabama Podcasters
by Bartender Courtney
- Admit that you hate Alabama Slammers and Southern Comfort in general and then apologize to the ghost of Janis Joplin
- Decide how many drinks the lushes will need to record the show so that you can get your multiplication skills in order
- Grab a standard shaker
- Look at the podcasters’ new app. The new app that is supposed to tell you, the bartender, how to make an Alabama Slammer
- Realize that this recipe does not follow traditional Alabama Slammer rules and leaves out amaretto but adds a shit ton of vodka
- Shrug shoulders, multiply all ingredients by four and realize that the shaker in front of you is not even near the size needed to make sure the two pod ladies have enough libations to tell their strange stories
- Pick up additional shaker to make two drinks in each and add the following ingredients (remember to multiply ingredients by four if you have two awesome podcasting friends who need a little courage boost and you are happy to oblige).
- 2oz Vodka (I did use and would normally recommend the good stuff for most drinks, Stoli, Ketel One, but I felt it was a waste of good vodka for this drink. Just tellin my truth here)
- 1oz Southern Comfort (sorry Janis, it sucks)
- 1oz Sloe gin (God why?!)
- 8oz Orange Juice (little pulp always preferred)
- 3 dashes Grenadine
Add all ingredients to a tall glass, stir, add ice.
Addendum: Pour a heavy shot of the awesome Clyde May’s Alabama Whiskey over a few cubes of ice for yourself. Enjoy.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Leave a Reply