Patrice and Marleah drink Madame Marleah Cocktails and talk about asshole serial killers: Todd Kohlhepp (the Amazon Review Killer) and the The Texarkana Moonlight Murders.
Realtor of Horror //
In November 2016, several months after she went missing, police found Kala Brown of Anderson, SC, locked inside a metal storage container, chained to the wall by her neck. The container was on the property of real estate agent Todd Kohlhepp, and in a matter of days, police discovered the bodies of three other people on his property and had learned he’d killed at least four more.
Sad Sack Killer //
The Texarkana Moonlight Murders were a series of unsolved murders and other violent crimes committed in and around Texarkana in the spring of 1946 by an unidentified serial killer known as the “Phantom Killer” or “Phantom Slayer”. The killer is credited with attacking eight people within ten weeks, five of whom were killed.
Madame Marleah Birthday Cocktail
made Strange by Bartender Courtney
This is a re-creation of a custom craft cocktail Marleah and I had at The Gin Joint in Charleston, SC. I have done my best to recreate this with different ingredients because here in Alabama, one cannot find something called Genepy des Alpes nor can one find Pineau des Charentes. Note: Ingredient proportions had to be tested and may need to be altered. All I had to go on was the brief menu description of the drink.
- 1 large Charred Cocktail onion ice cube (see directions below)
- 2 oz gin
- ½ oz Lemon fresh lemon juice
- 2 oz fresh strawberry simple syrup (see directions below)
- ½ oz Camus Cognac
- ¼ oz Benedictine
- 3 oz club soda
- A handful of micro thyme pulled from Boxfan Chad’s herb garden
- Put gin, lemon juice, strawberry syrup, cognac, Benedictine in a shaker with ice. Shake and pour into a small carafe, add the club soda to fill the carafe.
- Put onion cube into a whiskey glass. Drop a few sprigs of micro thyme onto the cube.
- Pour cocktail over onion cube.
- Like Madame Marleah, this drink is sweet, smoky, savory, bubbly all in one! Happy Birthday, Marleah!
Charred Onion Ice Cubes:
Peel about 2 cups of pearl onions, place in non-stick skillet set on medium heat. Use spatula to constantly stir onions until they start to caramelized (only light brown not blackened). Remove from heat. Put onions into food processor. Process until onions are pureed. Scoop onion mix into large whiskey style ice cube tray. Set in freezer overnight. Makes approximately 6 large cubes.
Strawberry Simple Syrup:
Core and coarsely chop 1 pint of fresh strawberries. Place into food processor until pureed. Pour mixture into sauce pan. Add 1 ½ cups of sugar and 1 ½ cups of water. Bring to slow boil, careful not to burn, simmer for about 5 minutes, pour mixture through strainer into a jar or container to catch excess pieces/seeds. Cover jar and put in refrigerator to cool. Use within 2-3 days.