Patrice and Marleah drink more quarantine cocktails and talk bags of boobs, genderbending authors, wolf peaches, and droolworthy Southern cuisine.
Mercritis Mania //
Urban legends of Mississippi women losing their minds and reeking havoc on their menfolk because of some lead induced B.O….sounds crazy? Not as out there as a related syfi tale (and subsequent movie) of the end of the human race written by the amazing Alice Sheldon aka James Tiptree, Jr.
- Mississippi’s Secret Disease the Government Tried to Cover Up – The 13th Floor
- Mercritis – UrbanLegendsOnline.com
- The Classics: ‘The Screwfly Solution’ – The Verge
- The Screwfly Solution (Masters of Horror) – Wikipedia
- James Tiptree Jr. – Wikipedia
The Wicked, Tasty Tomato //
Southerners have some weird culinary traditions. (I’m lookin at you, pokeweed.) But nobody can beat the way we serve up a good, ripe tomato. I wanted to do a feel-good homage to the humble tomato, and turns out its history is full of odd shit – witches, werewolves, poison, and evil worms!
- A Hunger for Tomatoes, The Bitter Southerner
- When Tomatoes Were Blamed for Witchcraft and Werewolves, Atlas Obscura
- Taming the Tomato: The Strange Case of the Edible Wolf Peach, New Historian
- The Epic Stories Behind 6 Heirloom Tomatoes, Mother Nature Network
- Cherokee Purple: The Story Behind One of Our Favorite Tomatoes, NPR