Patrice, Bartender Marleah, and Courtney drink Bourbon-Cranberry Cocktails and talk about substitution, the rich man’s war, unconscious iguanas, and mystery pork.
The Hole That Won’t Stay Filled //
In Newton, AL, everybody knows the story of Bill Sketoe’s hanging and the hole that was dug under his feet – the hole that gets swept clean whenever you try to fill it. How much of that story is true, and what might the rest of the story be?
- Early Account of the Ghost of Sketoe’s Hole, History Southeast
- Re: Bill Sketoe, Alabama in the Civil War Message Board
- The Ghost of Sketoe’s Hole, Explore Southern History
- 1864: Bill Sketoe, Hole Haunt, ExecutedToday.com
- Substitutes (Civil War), NCPedia
- Civil War Conscription Laws, Library of Congress
It’s Raining Lizards! Hallelujah? //
Florida is the flattest state in America. There are no dinosaur fossils in Florida. And weird stuff fall out of the sky in Florida.
- Watch for Falling Iguanas! Bomb Cyclone Drops Frozen Lizards
- Punta Gorda Golf Ball Rain
- The Weirdest Things That Fell From The Sky
- Mysterious object falling in the sky overnight over Florida
- Only in Florida does cocaine drop from the sky
- A Weird Florida Mystery: Frozen Pork Falling From the Sky
- What’s that falling from the Florida sky? It could be pork, poop — or worse
Bourbon Cranberry Cocktails
By Nancy Fuller on Food Network
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1 liter (about 4 cups) bourbon
- Orange peels, for garnish
- Combine the cranberries, orange juice, sugar and cinnamon sticks in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring, until the sugar dissolves and cranberries start to pop, about 5 minutes. Let cool completely, then combine with the bourbon in a pitcher.
- To serve, pour into glasses over ice and garnish with an orange peel.
We did this with a cup less bourbon and still got stupid pretty fast, so beware if you try to do it full strength!