Patrice, Marleah and Courtney drink Strawberry Spring Flings and talk mental hospitals, lobotomies, state thumbs, and land pirates!
Operation Ice Pick //
In July of 1952, Walter Freeman launched the West Virginia Lobotomy Project – dubbed Operation Icepick – through which he lobotomized 238 patients in five mental hospotals through the state. At the time, West Virginia had the highest per capita rate of lobotomy in the nation. I bet that made for a great state motto!
- The Lobotomist on PBS American Experience
- Weston State Hospital, 2008 Graduate Thesis by Kim Jacks
- The Horrifying History Of The Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum By Katie Serena
- No Marker, No Memorial: The Lakin State Hospital for the Colored Insane, by Alison Stine
- Dark History: ‘Ice-pick’ Lobotomies Given at Spencer State Hospital – “It Was A Real Grisly Thing,” Said Doctor – Hur Herald
John Murrell Gave TN the Finger //
What does a yellow-belly land pirate & branded thief, egomaniac, Mystic cult, and trial by committee have to do with a severed thumb? Listen and find out!
- John Murrell (bandit) – Wikipedia
- The Strange Story Behind the State’s Thumb – Betsy Phillips is the bomb!
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (800-273-8255)
- Thanks to our Patrons! You can be one too!
- Go join our FB Fan Group!
Strawberry Spring Fling
By Bartender Courtney
- 1-1/2 oz Vokda (we like Stoli)
- 1/2 oz St. Germaine
- 3/4 oz strawberry puree (just throw some frozen strawberries in a food processor)
- 1/2 oz lemon juice
- 2 oz Prosecco
- Add first four ingredients to an ice-filled glass.
- Top with Prosecco.
- Garnish with fresh mint and strawberry.